Tuesday, May 3, 2011

2011 DRAKE RELAYS...... "almost got the win"

Hey everyone,
I am so happy and excited to be writing to you all tonight! It has been a while since my last blog entry and I just wanted to take a quick moment to update you all on the Drake Relays and how ya girl almost got the win. So yes there is no shame in my game for accepting that on that day my competitor came out the winner. I was able to realize that sometimes what we want may not happen and the Lord has plans for all of us and we must take it day by day and step by step. The race was very smooth and I really can not be mad with how I went out with a competitive mind and spirit and executed. Going into the race I knew that the field consisted of a good group of ladies, and I wanted to do my best and continue to lower my 400 times. The race came down to the end and with 70 meters to go I broke away from the field and pushed home with all my might. I have been known for my strong finish in the 400 and kept pushing and pushing....as I crossed the finish line my competitor crossed also in what seemed like the same time. I looked up at the board to see that the meet officials had us tied but later determined that she crossed first ahead of my chest so man was it a close finish!!!! An exciting race, a good time with my athletes, and seeing other pro athletes, there is something about Drake that I will always love.

Being at this meet and not attending Penn Relays which I have done in the past gave me an opportunity to see the UC Track and Field Team compete along with having my husband/coach in attendance. The men and women's team did great in the events, some better than others but everyone had a good attitude and wanted to do their best. In my last blog I cited out the Gold Runner of the Week and without a doubt it goes to Terrence Somerville....who handled his business this past weekend. Not only is he currently ranked 7th in the nation among the NCAA but 15th in the world in the 110 hurdles but he also was the 2011 Drake Relays Athlete of the Meet, ran the anchor leg on the winning 4x110 hurdle shuttle relay. Yeah Terrence, you went and got you one, and serves as a true inspiration to all that anything can happen.

Now that I have put in another good week of training I will be off to Japan on Thursday to run in a meet. Feel free to goggle or refer to my tweets to find out how I do. The meet is called Seiko Golden Grand Prix in Kawasaki, Japan. Please have a great week and continue to send all those well wishes......until we meet again on this site, best wishes and to all the mothers out there "Happy Mother's Day!"


I'm out as my athletes would say
Mrs. W
"Good luck to all and remember to strive for your dreams"

No comments:

Post a Comment