Monday, January 17, 2011

"My First Indoor Meet"

Hey everyone,
How is it going? Thanks for checking up on my blog and I hope I am keeping you interested and wanting more!!! So I bet you want to know how my first indoor meet of the season resulted? I will tell you all that it is amazing how you can race in front of thousands of people, start off the Olympic Games 4x400 relay and still get nervous at a college track meet. Yes that's right I can admit that I was jittery, butterflies fluttering and I asked myself...am I sure that I want to do this....running the 400 is torture to the body ha ha but hey I told myself.....jeez you're a pro at this...you got this! That morning I ate my ritual breakfast and then Chris, Brooklyn and I hit the rode to the University of Kentucky. On our way we stopped to pick up one of my fellow teammates/training partner Antione Drakeford and his wife as he too would be running his first indoor race. We sat comfortably for an hour and 15 minutes and Brooklyn entertained us. How many sing along songs did we participate in...."On the Road Again.... Uummm she actually had fun playing Peek-A-Boo....sorry there was no singing!

So we arrived and we did our usual, locate the check in table,confirm time of race,recheck lane draw and then relax for about 15 minutes. My game face was now turned on and I was excited about the day. I talked with Wineberg on my race strategy and he wanted me to execute my own race and he knew that a happy result would come. I was able to see a couple of old friends/and past Olympic Team Mates.....said hello briefly and started my warm-up. I was in lane 5 for the race of the 400 meters. As I sat in the blocks waiting for the starter I began to feel my hands shake and my legs turn to jello....but as soon as the gun went off those feelings went away. Thank Goodness for that gun....
So as the race started to unfold, things were looking promising as I approached the last 100 meters, I was on the outside of the girl in lane one right on her shoulder trying to make my move and then the girl behind us makes a move also and gets in on the inside. I push and push and pump my arms harder and harder and never gave up because I wanted a good time and to finish with a good start to the indoor season. My competitor crossed the line in 52.85 and I came in second in 53.11. Wow....not too bad for running in lane 2 most of the race and a plus to know that there were some things to be corrected. After the race, Wineberg and Brooklyn approached me, and of course all I could hear was MOMMA, MOMMA, MOMMA. I smiled and gave her a big hug and kiss and awaited to hear Wineberg's thoughts. "Not bad, you came through in what we wanted, it's a start and was an opportunity to get the first race under your belt. I know your next race will be faster and better and bring us closer to your goals for Indoor Nationals.
So with that said, I am ready for the next race!

No comments:

Post a Comment