Saturday, May 15, 2010

Drake Relays

HEY!!!!
So I was very excited to be apart of the annual Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa. This place is great and the track fans are soooo supportive. I really enjoyed attending this meet in college and had not been back in about 5 years. The stadium was recently redone and the track is a beautiful blue. Training has been going well and I was hoping to better my time at this meet.

Once I arrived at the meet the volunteers did a great job of welcoming us in. I was on the plane with Hazel Clark-Riley (800 meters) and so we were happy to be traveling together. Hey as professionals it is always nice to run into someone else on a plane, it is like a safety net. (Ha ha there is no way that two people would be left at an airport....but I guess that has happened in a long time....ohhh the times of traveling in Europe!!!)

So the race was not as stacked as it was the year before. A couple of girls had to pull out of the race for various reasons. But the girls who were in the race were very competitive. I was in lane 6 and had 2 girls on my outside. As the gun went off I got out of the blocks but realized I could have probably pushed a little harder for the first 60 meters and push into the first 200 meters. I was able to finish strong but ended up 3rd with a time of 53.01. Man 52 was right there, maybe I will get it the next time. I ended the race and made sure to congratulate the other runners and did my cool down and headed back to the hotel. The weather was slightly cool and cloudy and a little bit of rain.

So all in all I had a great time, a meet that showed progress and my knee that had been bothering me was just a little irritated. So until next time.......continue to remember that I am MAKING MY WAY BACK!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment